Sunday, August 3, 2014

And I see gooseberries....

  
It had to be Autumn I guess 
When we shifted to this house
I climbed on my windowsill
And hung a fluorescent green wind chime,
My friend in school gifted it to me on my 13th birthday 
I had kept it locked safe inside a shelf in my cupboard
And I found it today when I unlocked the shelf and 
Found a hundred memories waiting to spill out.
While climbing down back from the sill 
I noticed this naked tree opposite to my window
We both stared at each other for a while 
Willing to get introduced to each other 
Till a ring from my mobile phone
Pulled me back to my room to common man's world

After weeks one day I sit in my room 
Staring out at the dark 
Introspecting why is that this wind chime of mine
Never makes a sound??
It's always silent
I noticed someone out there waving to me
I saw this tree flirting with the summer breeze 
But still the breeze chose not to flirt with 
My wind chime and me

The call got disconnected, 
The sky seemed red, vibrant,
I guess so did my eyes and
So did this tree that chose to be silent today 
It seemed to be observing me 
It was patient to listen to me 
Today I stood near the window for hours
Even the slightest breeze didn't interrupt us
As night fell bloomed with stars 
I chose to go back and sleep

Months later one afternoon 
Standing in front of the mirror
I was busy praising my beauty
Humming a song slightly moving my hands 
I hopped merrily in my room 
Accidentally I hit my hand on my wind chime.
My humming faded and the enchanting 
Sound of the wind chime echoed in my room 
My wind chime, for the first time broke its silence
Also I noticed this tree dancing with pride 
Standing tall, elegant filled with fruits as
A young girl who just burst into her puberty

Days later I was struggling to take afternoon nap
My neighbors kids were howling, giggling and chatting 
Frustrated I got up, went up to my window
One small kid aged four stood in front of me
His small-cupped palms couldn't hold on the fruits he had stolen 
Stolen from that tree opposite to my window
Our association had grown so strong I guess
That this tree wished to offer me its fruits
" Gooseberry’s, dont you want to taste them??" asked
the innocent mischievous kid.
I accepted it, had it
I saw the tree noticing my funny expressions 
Every time I took a bite of it.

Penniless, after days I stood at my window, 
Early in the morning, before the sun burst out on me 
The tree opposite to me stood strong and silent, empty 
With no fruits and few broken branches
My wind chime too seemed to have dropped one of its strings
We stood patiently and breathed.
Momentary morning breeze joined us too.
That four-year-old kid on his way to school, 
Smiled to me and wished me morning 
Stood there and looked at the tree.
"Look at that", he screamed out of joy
"My dad was true a new leaf is sprouting, soon 
It would be filled with many new leaves"
The tree smiled at me
The boy assured me 
" We shall eat more gooseberries this year,
See I am growing big ,
I'll get you even more gooseberries."
With a spark in his eyes, merrily he left 
With conviction I got up to receive,
To receive everything new, vibrant and 
Plentiful.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment